Soapmaking

(this is a very good source of soap supplies!)

I have all this extra beef fat (tallow, suet) from ordering beef from a farmer.  (Grassfed beef is delicious, and much healthier btw.. ) Someone told me awhile back that I could make soap from it and it has sat in my mind as something I'd like to try.  Well, now, I am about to try to do it.  I will keep you posted on the process. I am really excited to try this new "adventure"  I have done quite a bit of research on it the past couple of weeks and I thought I'd share some of the resources I've found.  Also, I attended an informal class on making castille soap.  Basically, all you need for ingredients is olive oil, lye, and water.(for the basic castille soap)  I'm a little nervous about using lye, but it seems it isn't so dangerous if you follow the "precautions" and wear gloves, goggles, an apron.  and don't make any of it in aluminum. 

The first thing I have to do is the "render" the tallow.  Basically that involved cooking the fat until it is liquid and straining the pieces of meat out of it, so that I have a usuable fat for my soap. This step, I will be attempting possibly as soon as tomorrow.



Here are some books/sites I have found useful






Comments