Buying in Bulk/ Azure Standard

One of the first things I did in my journey toward sustainability is to buy in bulk.  It is cheaper..and you always have food to cook with even on a meagher grocery week.  It is a great way to get organic foods much cheaper.  Dry beans are much cheaper than canned.  Wheat berries can be ground for fresh flour.  Lentils, popcorn, rice, honey, nuts, spices...  I use glass jars for my immediate use in the kitchen, and buckets for the 25# bags of beans and grains that I keep in the basement.. These foods are like my "paints or art supplies" and my meals are my paintings..  I buy my bulk foods from http://www.azurestandard.com/


Reasons to buy in bulk
  1. Cheaper way to buy organic foods
  2. Less packaging=less garbage/waste. (when we started buying in bulk and composting we have greatly decreased how much garbage and recycling goes on the curbside..(about 2 medium garbage bags(sometimes only 1)/week for a family of 4 (and 3 animals)  We used to dispose of at least double that-
  3. Healthier to eat dried beans than canned
  4. Tastes better
  5. Has a long shelf-life
  6. Great way to have variety in your meals.  countless recipes from variety of grains

Comments