Adventure Self-Care


Yesterday morning began as one of those days that were going to overwhelm me.  I had not gotten very much sleep the night before and the day before I had been in limbo as my husband roto-tilled part of the yard. It was going to be an especially long day since it was also my husband's "night off" to be out with friends and family..

I was tired and buggy.

I needed to sleep, but napping with 3 children at home is beyond me..Not something I would be able to do..  Seems when I've tried, something almost always happens to sabotage it and I end up  angry and frustrated.

What I needed most was to get out, and this time, visiting haunts in my area was not enough for me. I wanted to REALLY go somewhere..like for the whole day..

We used to live in Corvallis almost 8 years ago now.  My husband and I met, married, and had our first child there.  Special place for us.

I needed to go there...

So, we just did it!  Drove 2 hours..and as I drove the song "Simple Gifts" came on..and it gave me goosebumps...  I felt more alive than I have in quite a long time.  Free.  With my kids.  The song was perfect..because it reminded me of how to reach "realness"..

I recently purged a bunch of "stuff"..and it seems the reward for that..the empty space that is left..is being filled with "realness"..This feeling of being alive.

It was a BLISSFULY full day.  And we got to visit some old friends there... Sweetness..

We didn't get home until 10:17PM.  And the kids traveled beautifully.  (with some squirrelyness during some adult conversation), but other than that they were happy..and I was happy..and ALIVE.




Simple Gifts






    'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
    'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
    And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
    'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
    When true simplicity is gain'd,
    To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
    To turn, turn will be our delight,

    Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

Comments