Experimental Recipe: Cabbage, Sausage, Potatoes Casserole

Update:

Making new recipes is healing to me...I was exhausted tonight and really didn't want to make dinner, but I had already thawed out the meat and didn't want to wait longer to make this dish.  Making this new meal revived me quite a bit...

And I have to say, it is a keeper. It was delicious!!  A great way to use up some potatoes and cabbage! (-;

(original post)Never made something like this and happy with how it came out and tastes!  Will post my adapted recipe a little later.  Essentially, it has potato, ground pork and sausage, carroway, paprika, garlic curls, onions, cabbage, carrots, sauerkraut, sour cream.  I made it because I had a surplus of cabbage and wanted to do something creative with it.

Update:

I adapted it (quite a bit because I wanted to use only what ingredients I had on hand) from the book The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever.


Ingredients:
1lb ground pork
1lb ground sausage
bunch of garlic curls
a couple of small garden onions
4 potatoes thinly sliced
some sauerkraut
1 1/2 heads of cabbage (shredded or chopped)
4 carrots (shredded)
sour cream
carroway
pepper
paprika

I browned the meat with the onions and garlic and added the carroway and paprika.

Buttered a casserole dish and layered half of potatoes
then half the cabbage/carrot mix
then all the meat mix
then the kraut and some sour cream
Then the other half of potatoes
Then the rest of the cabbage
more kraut and sour cream
pepper on top


Baked covered at 350 for an hour.




Comments