Kid-Friendly Chickpea Curry


Got the craving for a chickpea dish and searched allrecipes.com and found this recipe:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butter-chickpea-curry/detail.aspx

But I adapted it (less spice and I made my own Garam Masala from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-garam-masala/detail.aspx

So, here is what I did for a quick meal.  (I happened to have a can of chickpeas on hand-but next time I hope to have some frozen..that I have premade in crockpot) and I happened to have some left-over potatoes and a small tomato soup..so this was super easy for me to make today..  I served it over rice and my kids ate it up!  (except for the zucchini)

4 medium potatoes, cubed
2 TB oil
2 onions diced
2 cloves of garlic diced
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala *
1 tsp of ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 can of tomato soup (or the equivalent in some form of creamy tomato)
1/2 cup of whole milk or cream
1 can of chickpeas (or your own cooked in a crock pot if you plan ahead)

1.  boil the potatoes until softened and drain
2. fry the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in curry, garam masala, ginger, and salt. cook for 2 mintues?  Pour in soup, milk/cream, and chickpeas.  Then potatoes. Simmer until heated/bubbly.  5-10 minutes.

3. fry up some zucchini or other vegetable in oil and add it at the end.  Really good served over rice, or to the side of the rice if you kids don't like their foods combined.

*Garam Masala
1TB ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg.

Mix in a bowl (or grind in a spice/coffee grinder) and store in a cool, dry place.

Comments