Made it to the Grocery Store and Back

Ok, I did it.  My first run with grocery shopping on my Xtracycle with toddler.  She weighs about 30 # and the groceries weighed about 40#.  The grocery store is about 1.5 miles away (with a hill involved)  One of the good things about doing it this way; I am motivated to limit what I buy because I have to haul it back!  (-;  I also got much more of a work-out this way than I would have by going to the gym and no gas involved.

I'm not going to pretend it was easy for me, though.  I was nervous.  Mainly worried about tipping over with "my most precious cargo"  I packed bungees and lots of bags; not sure how much grocery I could fit into the panniers.  I wasn't sure if it might rain. I had to make sure I had some diapers (just in case).

  It took me about an hour and a half.  It takes a little while to load/unload especially with a child.  She enjoyed the ride until the very last part; when we were about 2 blocks from home and she decided to pull off her helmet.  I had to stop; put up the kickstand and fix it; which was a pain.  It also seemed that today was the day for obstacles to bike around; trucks parked everywhere; construction, etc. This certainly isn't the easiest way of going shopping! "inconvenient food" I am hoping it gets easier!  I'm committed either way.  Scarily committed.  The first time was not quite as fun as I hoped; but I think as I gain some confidence, it will feel good after a few runs.  I do not feel "elated" quite yet. I am still feeling, "Holy S@#$, what have I committed myself to!"  I need to do this; though; on many levels doing this is sooo good for me.

It isn't really much, but it is a start.

BTW, I just happened to run into the guy who sold me the bike in the store and he recognized me and the bike.  Kind of funny.

PPS. I didn't break any eggs.


Comments