Homeschooling Day One

I ended up homeschooling both of them today, since my daughter was home sick, but not too sick to do some school work at home.

Lots of emotions spinning around for me while I was doing this.

There is the joy--It is fun to teach my children and engage them in ways that seem positive for them.  There is a gaining back of my son..  for now..

Then there is the feeling of, "oh crap!" What am I doing?  I am going to miss having my two older kids at school and the quiet time with my three year old.  I have to give that up-- And it hurts a little.  There is also the feeling of "I am never ever going to be able to do my own thing"--ever. "I am always going to have a child at home for the rest of my life!"  LOL!

It is also TRICKY with a three year old who is resisting being potty-trained.  My son sits down in his chair to learn and she wants to climb up on the chair too!

All in all, though, it was a good "school-day"--We started with a Spiritual Lesson.  For those of you who are Baha'is and reading this, we talked about the first Hidden Word.  He also, read for an hour a book he is reading for a book group today at 4:30 at the library.  He did some fractions practice on IXL webiste. He wrote a story.  He read an article about the Dead Sea and how the water level is getting lower.  He did some spelling vocabulary.. He went out jogging around the block--working on increasing his stamina to go longer.

Not bad.  He was pretty busy and seemingly content about it.  I also saw a much higher quality in his work than I have seen in his class/homework.

So, that is Day One.  I really want to homeschool my daughter too..And she wishes for this as well, but it might be best if she at least finish her third grade year.  I think it would actually be easier to have three children at home all day; and follow our own rhythm with this, than to try to deal with the constraints around her school day..and the after school transition when she is tired, hungry, emotional (sometimes)--


Comments

  1. There are likely multiple homeschool groups in the Portland metro area. One objection a lot of folks have to homeschooling is "socialization" (as if sitting all day in a group of one's age-peers is appropriate socialization)... but it's great to share learning with other families. And you can get group rates to places like the Zoo and OMSI. You can definitely do this. The kid(s) may need a little decompression time, but it looks like you've already got a good start. Just remember: no matter how you do it, it'll work, and you can always adjust to make it work better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment