Taking the Giant Leap to Homeschool



This is my son's last week of public school (for now).  He is in the fifth grade and is ten years old.

I feel crazy. I feel scared and stressed out.  I also feel excited and optimistic.

Over the past couple of years, I have seen a marked decline in his creativity and enthusiasm for learning.  This year, it has completely sunk.  It was very hard to get him to even go to his first day of school this year. We knew we were in for it. Usually there is at least some curiosity/excitement about the first day. Not this year.

It has always been in my mind that homeschooling was an option/even a plan for middle school.  We decided not to wait.  Currently, we are debating our daughter, also who is in third grade this year.  Not sure, yet..  I guess we will begin with one child at a time.  (Not counting our three year already at home)

I almost want to just have them all home and not be divided or have the constraint of the school schedule. It is really going to limit what we can do and when we do it.  Still, it might be good for her to finish her third grade year, since she is doing well.  She is expressing, though, that she also wants to homeschool.  We will see.

So, now, I expect my blog will have yet another shift as we explore and discover our own process of this plunge that feels so unconventional..and scary..so scary to be doing this!  I feel like someone is going to be knocking on our door demanding why we are not bringing our son to school..  Or checking up on us..or something like that.

I hope I can do this.  It is going to be quite a change.

Comments