Dehydrating Tomatoes and Fruit Leather



A few weeks ago, I pulled out my dehydrator to dry some of my tomatoes. Dried tomatoes are very useful and delicous..You can add them to pizza, soups, salads, snack on them, etc..  It is also easier to dry fruits and vegetables than it is to can them.  I like to do both.  It is nice to have some variety during the winter months.  With the tomatoes, I took off ends and gave it and x cut on the bottom to help peel.  I peeled skins by putting tomatoes in hot water bath for 2 minutes, then cold water.  Then I sliced them and placed them on dehydrator.  Took many hours.. 

During this pregnancy I have also had a huge craving for nectarines, so I thought I'd try my first fruit leather and was astounded by how easy it was.  Nectarine Leather: Peel, core, slice, and stick them in a blender with some lemon, honey and spices.  I added nutmeg and yogurt as well.  Pour onto the dehydrator sheets (or cookie sheet if you are using and oven).  And be prepared for it to take many hours. You remove it when it is dry and tough, but a little bit tacky.  Stick in a jar, or line with saran wrap. Keeps for 1 month outside of refrigerator. Longer if refrigerated.

Delcious!!! 

I also decided to try it with apples.  Apple Leather: I peeled, sliced, cored, added a little water, and cooked it until it was soft, added honey(or sugar), cinnamon, lemon, put in blender then poured into the dehydrator.  My kids expecially liked the apple leather.  I have read that adding yogurt to the recipe makes it extra delcious and healthy!






And it is beautiful!

For my dehydrator, I'm not sure if I recommend it yet or not, but so far it works really well.  (It is a "cheaper one" that I got off of Amazon a couple of years ago)..so I'm sure there are ones that are much better.  But, so far it has performed quite well.  I'm not sure about the plastic, though??  I have heard that Excalibers are really good.


 ThisNesco one is similar to the one I have.

Comments

  1. This is a sincere question and not meant to be critism or anything...but how does running the dehydrator for many hours fit with your views on sustainability and energy usage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that is a really good question! I'm pretty sure a dehydrator uses less energy than an oven does(500 watts)like using (8)-60 watt lightbulbs(my husband just looked it up) I can't speak for everyone, but this is how it fits for me: I am buying local, organic apples in season-stocking up on them so that I don't have to buy apples that are shipped from afar later on. I can guarantee what goes into the apples--does not contain other ingredients I don't want to be in there. It helps me be a little more in control of what I feed my family.. I don't need packaging--all the plastic that "store bought fruit leater comes in" I just stick mine in a jar. Think about the raw materials that the packaging alone uses up and the energy used to make that packaging. Of course, the most sustainable way to dehydrate would be to use a screen and the good old fashioned sun (unless you live in Oregon during the fall/winter/spring)-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for answering :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment