Oregon: Week 2 of Social Distancing



Thursday.  Two weeks ago today was our last day at school.  We've been home for 2 weeks.  We have had some stages in our isolation.  That first weekend, my teen daughter went to a friend's house for a sleepover; and the following Tuesday, there was an informal Drama class held outside with a few (I think it was less than 10) other students.  They were still hoping they'd be able to perform the play they've been working on all year.  Romeo and Juliet.  


And this moment pictured is a trip we took to a state park. After last weekend, all state parks have closed, so this place, one of our favorite places is no longer an option.

It's a small price to pay to save lives, though.  The Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival has been cancelled this year.   I will miss the tradition of going there at sunrise.  We are going to miss a lot of things.   But, it's better than dying or causing anyone to die.

No contest.

This year I've been working on a home photography studio.  I put A LOT into it.  There is no way I can have anyone come over now for quite a long time.  I have to put that aside as well.  

But, of course, it is better than the alternatives right now.

It is such a strange time and it is tricky to wrap our minds around things suddenly changing like this.  It's terrifying if I read too many articles about what is going on in Italy and New York City..  Is it getting better in Italy now?   Starting to?  I hope so.  I am glad to hear it is better in China now.  It does offer some hope.  Still, we may not be out of the woods.  There can be waves of this for awhile.  

A pandemic is one of my worst fears.   I obsessed during the Swine Flu pandemic.  But this is worse, obviously.

I am  coping by trying not to read too much or for too long. I am coping by going outside in the sun, when there is sun.  I am coping by setting some new goals and focusing on those things.  I am coping by making sure we have food in case we can't go to the store.  

I am falling back on the ideas behind this blog..   I am looking at Azure Standard again, and farms for meat, and planting a garden.   One thing on my list I hadn't tried yet was making homemade pasta.  

I wish we had chickens now.   It'd be wonderful to have our own eggs, but we have THREE dogs that take up the yard, so that might not be wise at this time.

I am thinking a lot.   I've been on this path with photography for five years now.  And it is still a "joy" and a "therapy" for me..   But can it be a "job"?

I am evaluating so much right now.

It is Spring Break.  Next week, I am assuming we will be given a lot of work from the school.  It will be very hard to think about school at all.  My mindset is on keeping us safe.  My father is in the vulnerable population and I can't get sick.  He needs us to watch out for him.

Going to the store now is exhausting to me.   I went yesterday and it pretty much drained all my energy for the day.   I am only going to go once a week (if that)  

I was so worried about breathing the air in the store, mindful of what I touched, and washing my hands, and taking a shower afterwards.

It makes me have second thoughts about fresh produce that isn't already in bags.  

My attempts at remembering to bring our own bags...now does not seem smart.   It may be better to use the store bags for now?    

Some things are comforting. Thinking about the earth needing a "rest"
I am an introvert and not having to drive to school everyday, or multiple times a day is a "rest", walks, and setting our pace, taking the time to re-think dreams and practicalities is good.  Planning a garden.  

Making up bottles of bleach water.  

What comforts you?   I don't think scrolling on facebook is a good idea anymore.   I think we need to focus on being okay and taking care of ourselves. As long as we don't "deny" what is going on, but focusing on the scary parts most likely won't help (outside of getting helpful information)  I started watching Picard last night.   Art..   Escape.  cooking. Exercise.  Reading. Knitting.   Taking pictures. Music.  




Comments